The letter

She walked on the beach she liked to believe was her own. Beautiful clean sand and deep clear water. She walked on the horizon where the waters silently kissed the sands. She walked thinking of days to come and the days gone by. Of all the people she had met, those who had made a difference in her life. Mostly she thought of him. It was 10 years since she had heard his voice. The voice without which she could sleep, once upon a time. She wondered where he was now. Whether all the dreams they had shared had come true for him. Of all the worries they had spent nights thinking about and how the worst among them had come true. They truly had grown apart.


Suddenly, she felt something cold hit her foot. It was a bottle. There was something in it. A message in a bottle? She smiled. It was letter dated 12th April, 1916. The World War-I. Her curiosity grew. She sat down on the warm sand and opened it slowly. Afraid she would tear it. She read. It seemed like a leaf of a diary. 

12th April, 1916
Dear Diary,
It has been a year since he left me. It seems like just yesterday he was hugging me. Holding me close and now it is all gone. The pain too is now dull. Never will it be gone completely but now my brain is clearer. I realise that he isnt coming back.

I wish I could speak to him just once more. Talk to him. Listen to his voice. Tell him what he meant to me. My beacon. My soul. I wish I could tell him how special he was to me. All I wanted was him to be happy wherever he was. I wish I could hold him once more. I wish I could feel his strong arms around me, telling me everything would be alright. I wish I could see his deep intoxicating eyes once again. I wish I could feel that warmth within me which only he could make me feel. 

Most of all, I wish he knew I was all his like I was no-one else's. I wish he knew I loved him and still do and probably always will.

I wish he knew. 



She stared at the letter long, for quite some time. Then she knew what she had to do. She put it back into the bottle and tossed it back into the ocean. And ran back home. She ran like there was no tomorrow. The sun was setting but in her heart, realisation had just dawned. She picked up her phone with shivering hands. And dialled his number. Hoping and praying it hadnt changed. The call connected. She took a deep breath and said, " Hi. It is me. I just wanted you to know that I missed you. No-one could ever replace you in my life. You are special. I missed you."

She then awaited his reply with baited breath..

11 comments:

  Tweety

28 April 2009 at 21:19

how true na rash...honestly a lesson to be learnt...never let your feelings be left unheard...even though they might not be reciprocated but u don't want to say repent later that i wished i had said this n that...n then hvae moist eyes cuz we know we wnt hear them evr again...it shopuldnt happen...nice and lovely read...

  Nik

28 April 2009 at 21:59

Extremely well written Conveyed a lot.

As shwe said, a very imp lesson to be learnt. And its better, ppl DO UNDERSTAND and follow this...because even a small fraction of thought,no matter how unimportant or irrelevant, if left inside and not shared with that one person..., keeps gnawing. Gnawing until it kills.

So very good ryt...again. Keep rytng....

  Anonymous

28 April 2009 at 22:07

super dear! i loved the letter, and her reaction to the letter... but u left me curious...

what was the guy's reply? yeh bhi bataao na pleez...

ur story was meaningful! it showed that no matter how far one is apart, how long it has been since that voice has been heard, memories will keep that person close! :)

  Anonymous

28 April 2009 at 22:11

hehe @ leo.

i hope he's read it, and i hope the message is being delivered :)

  Anonymous

28 April 2009 at 23:47

i second Rash. the message should be conveyed to the one it was meant for.. and lets not wait for bottles in the ocean to make sure we tell him/her that he/she is special to us!

it was beautifully put!!

  Ashrita

29 April 2009 at 07:34

Very well written, and very very true... Sometimes just small things make us decipher the answers to so many questions and wonderings... It's amazing how small things can do big things. Hope the guy gets the message!

  Arv

29 April 2009 at 09:52

kewl stuff :)

guess wat.. I wrote a msg to anonymous in a bottle and threw it out into the ocean... it must be lying somewhere in the bottom with the paper all gone :P

take care da.. cheers...

  Anonymous

29 April 2009 at 10:37

and what did he do?

i could sense reality in this.. can associate myself to this..

for once i had goosepimples... after a long time.. same situation

  DPhatsez

29 April 2009 at 15:50

a good story teller leaves his listener wanting more. Your timing couldn't have been better.

Sigh! had a similar situatuon so i know the drill...

  mysterious gal

1 May 2009 at 00:17

wow what a beautiful write and a beautiful message....i hope the message has a positive outcome :)

  Dorothi

3 May 2009 at 15:41

Loved it.......awesome writing...I love the way you narrated such a common event....Keep writing!!